St. Dimitrie Basarabov Program
The St. Dimitrie Basarabov Program was founded in Cluj-Napoca, Romania in 2000 by Floyd Frantz, a missionary through the Orthodox Christian Mission Center in San Augustin, Florida, USA. The St Dimitrie Program is now part of “Christiana” – a Philanthropical, Medical and Christian Association.
The Mission of St Dimitrie Program is to help people affected by alcoholism and other addiction to recover their physical, mental/emotional and spiritual well being.
The Scope of our program is to develop in Cluj-Napoca a ‘pilot’ multi-disciplinary program to treat addictions, a program that could be used as a model and implemented in others cities in the country for the benefit of the people still suffering from the disease of addiction.
We try to do this by offering…
- information and counseling to alcoholic / drug addicts patients and family members
- a referral resource for and outreach to all the professionals already working with alcoholics (psychiatrists, family doctors, clergy, social workers, psychologists, probation officers, employers etc.)
- education for students, professionals and recovering people interested in professionally helping alcoholics and family members;
The target group is formed by people addicted to alcohol as primary patients, by family members as secondary patients and by community itself.
The approach used by our program is based on the Minnesota Model of addiction treatment, also known as the multi-disciplinary / bio-psycho-social-spiritual model of recovery.
This model combines the professional addiction counseling with community resources and community-based self-help groups of Alcoholics Anonymous, Al-Anon etc.
The Program`s current projects are:
- Outpatient individual and group counseling
- Day center
- Community outreach
- Professional education
- Information and counseling in the TBC Sanatorium Săvădisla
- Information and counseling in the long term Hospital for mental diseases Borşa
- Employee assistance programs in private and public companies
- Consultancy and supervision in implementing similar centers all over the country
- Primary and secondary prevention.